Saturday, June 18, 2011

Thirsty in the Florida Heat.

Saying it is hot in Florida is almost funny to me now. I have a new appreciation for water. I need it soooooo much!! I am constantly filling water bottles, sometimes two at a time just to make sure I am drinking enough. And fancy the irony that our theme verse for this week is Psalm 42:2 (I chose to also include verse 1 as well, it's just so good!) "As a deer pants for streams of water so my soul pants for you oh God. My soul thirsts for God, the living God. When can I go and meet with God?"

There is a funny thing about being constantly thirsty. You are constantly aware of your need for water. I live in a society where going thirsty is something I almost have to try to do. Yet I know there are places in this world where people are dying for lack of water. When it comes to the Bible I have placed my heart in a desert and said to it, "I don't have time to water you very often so just get used to being thirsty for a bit. Sorry." I go thirsty, I pant, my soul pleads to meet with God and I put it on call waiting and before long I am intentionally dying of thirst.

But the Psalm goes on with a magnificent promise. It says; "...deep calls to deep in the roar of your waterfalls. All your waves a breakers have swept over me." God has promised that though I might be starving, if I would only look up I am surrounded with a waterfall. God has placed me in a society where the Bible is whole and allowed and I can read his letter to me daily if I only learn to turn to him. I think of this promise and I only have a desire to dive in. And let my soul remind me of how my constant thirst can only be quenched with his sweet love.

No comments:

Post a Comment